Sunday, March 1, 2009

Ern's Monthly Page Turners (February 2009)

*本に関するネタは日本語書き込みません

February being such a short month, my literary adventures only feature six titles this month (seven if I include the Japanese language photography book) but that's beside the point. I did manage to read the conclusion of the Lionboy trilogy, a couple of culinary titles, an excellent travelogue, and a couple titles of fiction.


EVERYTHING BUT THE SQUEAL: EATING THE WHOLE HOG IN NORTHERN SPAIN by John Barlow – Last month after reading about the foods of Spain, I discovered this gem on extreme eating. Barlow gives himself a year to eat an entire pig or as the title of the book states, “everything but the squeal”. I’m sure most of my friends when they think of pig, only think of pork chops, ham, and bacon. But for Barlow who lives in Northern Spain in an area called Galicia, the pig is king – and I mean the whole hog. This book is definitely not for the vegetarian at heart (even though Barlow’s wife is one). But Barlow says he can’t think of a life without meat – something I can thoroughly agree with. He even makes himself a list of all the pork items available from a pig – this means it includes offal (the organs – intestines, spleen, pancreas, heart, brains, etc.), pig ears, trotters (which is pig feet), the face, the tail – everything but the squeal! I can say that aside from pork chops, ham, and bacon – I’ve also had pig ears (an Okinawan delicacy) and trotters as well at a Taiwanese restaurant. A great read for the carnivore.


DEAD LINES by Greg Bear – A creepy thriller by one of the masters of science fiction. In this story, a man who had lost his daughter to a serial killer and then loses his wife. He now makes a living working as a fixer for a Hollywood millionaire. The millionaire invests in a new type of mobile phone – something called the Trans. But it seems the Trans has one minor defect – it connects to the dead! Now there are phantoms roaming the earth and there’s an increase in murder and death. The only help Mr. Fix-it is getting is from his murdered child who is giving him hints as to who the murderer was. Exciting stuff.


LIONBOY: THE TRUTH by Zizou Corder – The third and final book in the Lionboy trilogy (at least let us hope so). Charlie Ashanti has been reunited with his parents in Morocco. The Lion Trainer has escaped the lions, and the Corporacy is still trying to recruit (read re-capture) Charlie’s parents so they can control the asthma medicine market. I mentioned the last time the story was similar to John Le Carre’s “The Constant Gardener” but for an even simpler analogy – just watch the “Resident Evil” series. Charlie (actually his parents) are the Alice character, the Corporacy is the Umbrella Corporation and there you have it. Whereas the Umbrella corporation created a deadly virus, the Corporacy created genetically defective cats to spread asthma so they could profit from the sale of the medicine to cure it. They want Charlie’s parents but they have found a cure for asthma. Anyway, if you read the first two books, you will want to read this to find out the final outcome.


TIMELINE by Michael Crichton – Although this was adapted into a film in 2006 I have never seen it. But to put it simply, it’s a time travel version of “Jurassic Park”. Unfortunately, by the time you figure that out, the story is over. But the story preceding the final climax is pretty exciting. The story starts with some man appearing on an Indian reservation and repeating some words over and over again. He dies within a day. In France, a group of archaeologists are working on a medieval site and have made an exciting discovery. However, the company they work for flies them to headquarters to partake in an adventure which relates to the site in France. Their company has discovered a technology where people can literally travel into the past and they are asked to go back to bring back one of their scientist who seems to be stuck in the year 1347. The archaeologists agree but find that life 600 years ago isn’t as simple as some thought it to be and soon find themselves in dire consequences as they search for the scientist and have to fight for the survival as well. It was a fun read. Maybe I’ll check out the movie the next time I find myself at my local DVD rental shop.


THE RED BALLOON by A. Lamorisse – I had to read this as it reminded me of elementary school when I actually saw the film of this story. I didn’t get it when I first saw it. I thought, okay, it’s just some kid following a red balloon. I was just glad that we got to watch a film in class (which I’m sure all of you can relate to) instead of having to study something. Reading it as an adult though, I found it to be most entertaining. It’s a story about courage and friendship. It’s so simple and yet so deep. I love going back to books I read or in this case, saw a film of from elementary school. I’m going to have to buy myself a copy of “The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet” as well. I may to read Madeleine L’Engle’s “A Wrinkle in Time” as well.


YAK BUTTER BLUES: A TIBETAN TREK OF FAITH by Brandon Wilson - What's a couple to do after completing a journey from London to Cape Town and not end up killing each other in the process? To attempt what no other Western couple has been done before. To walk the 1000 kilometer pilgrimage trail from Lhasa, Tibet to Katmandu, Nepal. This book recounts their odyssey. However every travel agency they went to told them it was impossible or out of the question, or that the Chinese government would never allow it. But those two words – “can’t” and “impossible” were the just the catalyst for Wilson and his wife to make their trip a reality. For a more complete review of this title, please check out the website “Asia by the Book”. You will find a link to the site on this blog.


WORLD FOOD: MEXICO by Bruce Geddes – Yes, there is still more titles in the series. This month, my culinary travels have taken me to Mexico – land of burritos, tacos, enchiladas and tequila!! Also home to the habanero and jalapeno peppers, the land of mole sauce, a cuisine that has Spanish and Caribbean influences as well as incorporating the foods of the indigenous people. This is problem the one cuisine that Japan does not do well. I have yet to find a decent Mexican restaurant in Tokyo and there are no Taco Bells or Taco Times here. Actually, a Mexican restaurant has recently opened in my neighborhood but I have only been there once so I will reserve judgment on it (although I do remember it being delicious). There is one other restaurant called La Jolla located in Hiroo but I haven’t been there in years. Maybe it’s time to take Mikako there. Fans of Mexican food will also enjoy the short interview with Laura Esquivel, author of “Like Water for Chocolate” – another excellent book featuring the traditional Mexican kitchen.


Okay, I did not manage to read the latest installment of the Redwall series and I currently don't have any other titles on my "to read next" list. So, aside from the Redwall book, next month will be a complete surprise.


Happy Reading

No comments: