Saturday, February 28, 2009

Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern Collection 1


*DVDに関するネタは日本語書き込みません


For Christmas, my sister sent me an unexpected DVD. It was something called "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern: Collection 1". I was aware that Anthony Bourdain has a program called "No Reservations", which my sister sent me as well, and although I enjoy Bourdain's prose, when it comes to television programs, Zimmern's wins hands down in my book. Because Zimmern's show gives the food the main stage whereas Bourdain's program, the food shares the stage with the city he visits along with his tough persona. Zimmern seems effeminate in comparison but is easier to understand. In this first collection Zimmern visits Morocco, Spain, the Philippines, Ecuador, New York City, the U.K., America's Gulf Coast, and Mexico.

In Morocco he checks out the large souk (market) and indulges in everything from lamb kidneys to pigeon pies. In Spain, he tries suckling pig brains and bull testicles (oh my). And what would be a trip without a visit to the current world's number one restaurant - El Bulli. In the Philippines, he has an interesting and perhaps somewhat disgusting to our Western sense of taste as he samples the nationally known staple called balut which is a boiled pre-hatched egg (you can see the embryo I tell ya!). He also tries some crickets, frogs, and worms as well. The main theme for Ecuador is roasted guinea pigs.

Even though you may not think its possible, Zimmern discovers exotic dining in New York City, eat haggis , neeps, and tatties in the U.K., then heads back to the Gulf coast in the States to sample something that looks almost like a beaver, and finally to Mexico which serves more than just burritos and tacos.

I can't wait to receive Collection 2 which my sister has already promised me. I may enjoy food as the rest of you, but I will leave the extreme eating to Zimmern and enjoy it vicariously through him.


No comments: