Sunday, February 10, 2008

Waiting at the Station / 駅で電車待ち




Last week, a co-worker of mine invited me to a DJ event that he was going to partake in, along with a bunch of other co-workers. And as the event was being held at a club within walking distance from our apartment at a place called Orbit in Sangenjaya. I said I would show my face for a bit and that I would be bring Mikako with me. Of course I was having second thoughts after a long day of work, because it was cold and wet, and not only that, it started to snow. Yes, snowing in Tokyo. It's not unheard of but doesn't snow all that much in this metropolis. So, we reluctantly headed out into the cold. And because seeing snow in Tokyo is pretty amazing, I decided to let you all wait with us for our train. You can't really tell it's snowing until the train appears though. This is the Setagaya Line. A very local line that runs between Sangenjaya and Shimotakaido. Our home in Wakabayashi is two stops away from Sangenjaya.
The event wasn't going to start until 9:00pm and we didn't want to arrive too early. I would make it home around 7:15pm after work. We decided we'd eat out and then proceed to the festivities. I just have to share with you all what we had for dinner. We went to a ramen shop that specializes in miso-ramen. You can choose the spicyness of your ramen too. Of course there is regular, then the next step up is piri-kara (marginally spicy), followed by hifuki (very spicy), and for the adventurous, bakuhatsu which translates to explosive! I've eaten the bakuhatsu ramen once and I must say once is enough. Mikako and I always order the pirikara chashu ramen. Just take a look at this bowl of ramen. I'm sure my sister and mother will be salivating over it as I've takent them here when they were in Japan. I even took my friend Gini, but I'm not sure if it was her cup of tea.





Doesn't this just make you hungry? After dinner we headed over to Orbit but was there ten minutes before the place opened. It started to snow harder as we made our way from Miso Ichi to Orbit. So what did it look like outside? Kind of like this:





My co-worker Murata-kun was there. It was taking him and a few other quite a while to get set up. I was fairly sure that they wouldn't be playing the kind of music me or Mikako would listen to but sometimes it's fun to explore a world you're not familiar with. While they were busy trying to get the music going, there was a skateboard film showing along the wall which kept our attention for a little while. More people started to show up an hour later, mostly co-workers and former co-workers of mine. I felt a little bad for Mikako since she hardly knew anyone even though a lot of my co-workers had been looking forward to meeting her.



And here's DJ Murata behind the console:


We left after an hour and a half or so. I showed my face, co-workers met my wife. My duty was done. Of course, it stopped snowing when we made our short walk home. I guessed it snowed the heaviest when we were in Orbit. Oh well. The event was to last all night but I no longer have the strength or stamina to drink all night anymore. Yep, getting old I am.

No comments: